Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

They Send You Here for Life, and That's Exactly What They Take

After all this time, I've finally reached the first Tunnels & Trolls adventure I ever played. As I've mentioned before, my first experience of the series was one of the Corgi two-adventures-in-one-book reissues. More specifically, the one featuring Beyond the Silvered Pane. And that adventure was partnered with Steven Estvanik's Captif d'Yvoire, which came first in the book, so it got played first.

I was at my grandparents' home when I tried it, and I don't remember much beyond how my attempt ended. Even those memories are hazy enough that I'm not sure things happened in quite as bizarre a manner as I recall: while heading along a tunnel, I was given the option of casting a spell, and did so. This awakened some amorphous monstrosity that had been caked on the wall, and the thing either devoured me or transformed me into a frog - the text seemed open to interpretation regarding that point. If this attempt lasts long enough, I may get to find out how confused those memories are.

It's a big if, though, as the dice have provided me with a particularly poor character this time round.
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 13
Luck: 12
Constitution: 6
Dexterity: 8
Charisma: 11
Speed: 12 (but only because the rules for this adventure specify rolling it on four dice rather than the usual 3 - it'd be half that but for the extra roll)
I could theoretically make a less inadequate character by turning him into a Dwarf, but while the adventure doesn't ban non-human characters, it requires one who could be mistaken for a human, and even if I got the maximum possible roll on the height table, I'd still be under five foot.

At the start of the adventure I am a prisoner in the Chateau d'Yvoire. Constructed by powerful mages, and reputed to still house strange forces, the Chateau has been taken over by the Duc de Binaire, who had me captured while I was travelling to join my new employer, Gastar d'Alcene, the rightful owner of the chateau. As far as I'm aware, all I need to do in this adventure is escape and make my way to d'Alcene, rather than single-handedly thwarting de Binaire's schemes, but there's plenty I don't know about what transpires.

Anyway, after enduring assorted deprivations down in my cell, I decide that I should try to escape. Or rather, I would, but before I can start making plans I have to make a roll to see what kind of toll imprisonment has taken on me, and it turns out that I'm dead. So dead, in fact, that I think I must have passed away last month and somehow failed to notice until now. I think that's a new record for rapid failure.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar